Careers in the Ministry of Defence
The Ministry of Defence (MOD) is a UK Government department with a mission to protect our country and provide the ultimate guarantee of its security and independence, as well as helping to protect its values and interests abroad. It offers a range of careers both in the armed forces, reserves and civilians for people from Scotland and the whole of the UK. So however you want to contribute to our mission, either through serving in the British Army, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force or as a Civil Servant, there will be something to suit you.
- Careers in the Royal Navy
- Careers in the Army
- Careers in the Royal Air Force
- Careers in the Civil Service
- Ministry of Defence Police
- Graduate recruitment programmes
- Defence commercial graduate programme
- Careers in the Defence and Engineering Science Group
Careers in the Royal Navy
A job in the Royal Navy means adventure, camaraderie – and lifelong prospects. Every day you make a difference. No two days are the same. You could be policing the world’s oceans, delivering humanitarian aid when natural or man-made disasters strike. Or you could be deployed in combat. No matter what job you do, you’ll be a key part in operations around the world. Are you ready to go places?
Careers in the Army
As a soldier, you’ll do a vital job making sure the Army operates smoothly and effectively, at home and overseas. It takes lots of different trades to run the Army. There are many jobs to choose from, all with training of the highest standard. Your hard work will be rewarded, because you’re more than an employee – you’re a valued member of the Army family. Whether it’s commanding a platoon of soldiers on operations, leading a humanitarian mission or helping to build critical infrastructure and rebuild lives after a natural disaster, you will lead a life that is full of purpose.
Careers in the Royal Air Force
The Royal Air Force gives you opportunities you won’t find in any other career. The experience you gain will equip you to work at the top of your field, both in the UK and overseas. The RAF’s structure is dedicated to giving you responsibility. If you need to make sure 200 personnel are fed in less than two hours or are responsible for the maintenance of 20 typhoon jets you will be given these opportunities earlier than in any civilian career.
Careers in the Civil Service
The Ministry of Defence employs people in different roles and in many locations across the UK and abroad. It has jobs in policy, finance, HR, IT commercial and project management and all the types of jobs you would expect to find in a government department. It also employs doctors, dentists, teachers, police, fire service, quantity surveyors, and engineers to name a few. For details of current vacancies and how to apply for civilian jobs in the Ministry of Defence, visit the Civil Service Jobs website.
- For information about opportunities in Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) visit Working for (DE&S).
- For information about opportunities with the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl), visit Working for Dstl.
- For information about opportunities with The Defence Electronic & Components Agency (DECA) visit Working for DECA.
- For information about opportunities with the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO) visit Working for UKHO.
- Non-civil service jobs are advertised on our departmental pages, please see Defence Engineering and Science Group (DESG) for more information.
Ministry of Defence Police
You can get detailed information and download an application form from the MDP recruitment website www.mod.police.uk.
MOD is the largest provider of apprenticeships in the UK. Find out about apprenticeships for civil servants and the armed forces.
Graduate recruitment programmes
Defence commercial graduate programme
The defence commercial graduate programme recruits graduates for MOD purchasing and contract management roles. Full details are available in the Commercial Graduate brochure.
Careers in the Defence and Engineering Science Group
The MOD also recruits engineering and science graduates into DESG via various schemes.