Help with exporting
Thousands of businesses in the UK have increased their sales, growth and stability by selling overseas. Explore the potential of exporting with finance, services, and guidance from the UK Government.
Regardless of your exporting experience, the UK Government offers help for businesses that are looking for exporting opportunities. A range of support is available whether you are looking to export for the first time or ready to expand into new markets.
New trade hub
The Department for International Trade (DIT) plans to open a dedicated hub in Edinburgh to provide Scottish businesses with trade support. But in the meantime DIT provides access to a regional network of international trade specialists across the UK which:
- help businesses acquire the skills, contacts and confidence to start exporting or to break into new markets
- work closely with a global network of UKTI advisers, to ensure UK businesses are given the best advice about exporting to their chosen destinations
They also offer programmes for:
- high value opportunities, to help businesses win large projects overseas
- e-exporting, to help retailers and brands to sell their products online
- tradeshow access, providing grants to eligible businesses so they can attend overseas events
- overseas market introductions, offering tailored research from our network of overseas experts
- bidding for international aid agency projects.
UK Export Finance (UKEF) can help UK companies to:
- win export contracts by providing attractive financing terms to their buyers
- fulfil contracts by supporting working capital loans
- get paid by insuring against buyer default
They can support exports for any size of company and across all sectors, from capital goods to services and intangibles such as intellectual property.
Their export finance managers provide free and impartial consultations. They help UK companies to check they are getting the appropriate support and, if not, explore how to bridge any gaps.
UKEF works in partnership with banks and brokers to provide government-backed working capital loans, credit insurance and bank guarantees to support UK companies to trade overseas. UK suppliers to exporters can also access UKEF support, spreading the benefits of trade to SMEs across the UK.
Watch our example below to see how UKEF has helped Caley Ocean Systems to secure export contracts:
Helping businesses sell overseas
great.gov.uk has tailored support and advice for businesses on how to start exporting or increase the amount of goods and services they sell overseas.
- read guidance for new, occasional and frequent exporters
- find out about services offered by GREAT partners
- use the selling online overseas tool to find the best marketplaces to showcase your products online
- take advantage of special deals negotiated by the government for UK businesses and find out more about the government’s e-exporting programme
- apply for overseas export opportunities for your products or services
- create a business profile, which will allow you to promote your products and services to international buyers
You can also:
- search for events, trade fairs, missions and webinars relevant to your sector or overseas markets
- Create a free great.gov.uk trade profile to give companies looking to buy from your industry an easy way to find you
- see upcoming DIT international ministerial visits
- apply for a trade show access grant to attend an overseas event
- read our country export guides to selling overseas
- contact a trade adviser in your area
Find out more about UK Government support for businesses.